counter

Monday 9 June 2014

My body wants 11 dollar bills. I've only got 10

I think I am still at stage one of the five stages but my body seems eager to move on

Stage one:
During this initial phase of the disease, a patient usually experiences mild symptoms. These symptoms may inconvenience the day-to-day tasks the patient would otherwise complete with ease. Typically these symptoms will include the presence of tremors or experiencing shaking in one of the limbs.

Also during stage one, friends and family can usually detect changes in the Parkinson's patient including poor posture, loss of balance, and abnormal facial expressions.

Let's see

  • tremor in my right hand and the occasional shake in my left. My right hand, or parts thereof can be brutally jumpy. Fortunately, it currently can be controlled by drugs, but not always. I was at a piano recital for one of my grandsons when two fingers started violently tapping. My son asked me if I could stop them. I was trying to so using my mind, when my 5 year old grandson sitting beside me grabbed the two miscreant fingers, stopping them immediately. "There!" he muttered quietly.
  • poor posture. Yep, when I am standing, I tend to roll my shoulders forward and I have to fight to resist that urge. When I walk, I bend forward at the waist a couple of degrees.
  • loss of balance? That is becoming my middle name. After my abbreviated walk last week, I have not walked any distance since. Instead, I have been a demon on the stationary bike. No fear of falling there; however, yesterday I went up to my cottage and decided to take a long bike ride. I was a little unsteady at first, but finished 4 miles without incident. Unfortunately there was a slight balancing problem and I have a feeling that my future will one day forbid the use of bicycles.
  • I don't have an abnormal facial expression, probably because my normal facial expression is somewhat morbid already.
Nevertheless, I am standing on the edge of the abyss of stage two. I don't want to jump, but it is inevitable. I promise myself to keep fighting my body's desire to make the leap.

Mark Twain once said "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it, if you live."

Ok, that's what I will do. I will continue to pedal even if I fall off and hurt myself. Hopefully I will survive those falls, with little damage, so I can keep on pedalling to slow my inexorable march into the abyss.

No comments:

Post a Comment