counter

Monday 17 August 2015

I was a peripheral visionary. I could see the future, but only way off to the side. (Steven Wright)

You might remember early on in my PD voyage, I saw things out of the corners of my eyes. Not hallucinations because they lasted only part of a second, or less. The included an astronaut, giant man, etc. etc. Well I now have the comfort of knowing that other PWP have enjoyed the same experience due to the fact that PD affects our peripheral vision. Why? I don't know but I came across the following in a Parkison's UK Forum, and it made sense to me. I have the author's approval to reprint it here.

peripheral vision and improving pd symptoms

For the first time in years, I am sitting with my arms and legs relaxed. Usually my left arm is doing Napoleon impersonations. But right now it is calmly resting on my knee.

How has this happened?

I added opaque side shields to my glasses that block peripheral vision.

Why should that matter? This is only an amateur theory but....

  1. The peripheral vision process is separate to the main focal vision processing
  2. PD has a major effect on the peripheral vision which is why we see things that aren’t there out of the side of our eyes.
  3. The corrupt peripheral vision has to be integrated with the main focal vision.
  4. This integration with corrupt data corrupts our vision as a whole and affects other physically close areas of the brain that control movement.
  5. Blocking out the corrupt peripheral signal should improve our vision’s clarity, reduce eye movements, reduce startle responses etc
By the way for the first time in years I am touch typing with two hands.

This experiment has been going only for one hour, hopefully the effects last. Side effects:
You look ridiculous
You might get run over by a bus.

This may be a placebo effect and may not have any effect on other people, but I’m feeling good right now.

Cheers
Turnip

Sounds logical, doesn't it.

By the way, I highly recommend Parkinson's UK

No comments:

Post a Comment