counter

Tuesday 24 November 2015

Falling: to come or drop down suddenly to a lower position, especially to leave a standing or erect position suddenly, whether voluntarily or not

I had another fall yesterday. This time it occurred in my home. I wasn't running or walking; rather, I think I was shuffling and I tripped over some wires in my closet. Oddly, I seem to recall the entire incident, like a bad film. I see myself get caught up in some discarded computer wires, and then in slow motion, falling face first into my office chair, which unfortunately has hard arms. I hit one arm with my cheek bone, one or two centimeters from my right eye. The result is a bruise/bump to pretty up my rugged good looks and and a new danger zone, a pile of wires, which I have yet to clean up. I am just too lazy. Instead, I tell myself not to shuffle and that usually works.

Anyway, falls don't bother me, it's the stopping that gives me pause.

I know I can move without shuffling. I bought a treadmill and use it about 30 minutes each day. I can get it up to 8 miles per hour - for about 16 seconds after which I drop back to 5mph. I enjoy the machine. I certainly don't shuffle and I can pat myself on the back for finally getting some real movement back. I highly recommend the treadmill but if you get one make sure it is capable of at least 10mph so that you can run on it.

Sometimes my future gets me down. I try not to dwell on it. As someone said, you don't drown by getting into the water, you down by remaining submerged. Besides, things are looking up. MJF Foundation reported on a couple of new advancements, one of which is a time release capsule for L-dopa which effectively controls the wearing off problem we suffer from now. I don't remember what the other drug does, but it is good.

Is loss of memory a symptom of PD. I don't remember that either.

I will have to look it up!

1 comment: