counter

Sunday 9 June 2019

Remembering a short walk

Parkinson's is mostly a shaking disease. Not true. There are many more symptoms. For me, when I look back, the complete loss of smell was my first symptom, followed by terrible spasms in my right leg, excessive saliva and then the nastiest, an inability to speak properly due to a word-finding problem. Now, after 9.5 years, I have suffered attacks of two of the worst PD symptoms, balance problems and stiff legs.

I went to my grandson's soccer game and when a slight wind blew in, I had to put one foot behind me to avoid being blown over. I left just before half-time and, moving at glacial speed, I walked toward my car. I was so stiff, I could only take baby steps, almost coming to a stop. I could feel the crowd watching me as I forced myself to move. I was saved when my son ran to help me. We were successful in getting to my car. I drove home and went to bed. I am certain my brain was contemplating a serious bout of distress!

How dreary!

In the near future would I be looking for a walker, or a wheelchair?

I mean no disrespect to people who currently need either appliance, but I don't want to join your ranks.

The next day I awoke full of positive energy and the incident, with its negative energy, was forgotten, assigned to my catalog of woes.

Until now that is. Why did I choose to write about this? The memory of that short walk is weakening my stiff upper lip.

I will spend the next couple of hours, trying not to remember. Happily I will move on to more beneficial thoughts......... eventually

From the book "Changeless"

“Lady Maccon stopped suddenly. Her husband got four long strides ahead before he realized she had paused. She was staring thoughtfully up into the aether, twirling the deadly parasol about her head.

"I have just remembered something," Alexia said when he returned to her side.

"Oh, that explains everything. How foolish of me to think you could walk and remember at the same time.”

― Gail Carriger

No comments:

Post a Comment