counter

Tuesday 24 January 2012

Balls to Mr. Banglestein

The physiotherapist recommended exercises that help with balance so, with that in mind, I bought a Bosu ball. You know the kind, it is a half a large rubber ball on a plastic base. These things are practically indestructible. The simplest exercise is just standing on top of the ball. Should not be a problem, right? WRONG. I thought emphasizing balance was over the top and unnecessary. It is a good thing I didn't open my mouth and put my foot in it by criticizing the physio's advice.

Here is how it went when I brought it home. My son (35) was visiting with his two boys (5 & 3). The boys took an immediate liking to the ball and were jumping on it, standing still on top, both legs or one leg. My son joined in with the same amount of effort as the boys, which was none, and he also added squats and a jumps off the ball. Nobody had any trouble standing on that thing. It all looked very easy.

My turn.

I stood on top of the ball and it was like standing directly over the epicenter of an earthquake. I couldn't stay still. My legs wobbled and I flung my arms out in a desperate, albeit fruitless, attempt to remain stationary. I managed a few seconds and then stumbled off. Age or PD? Which should I blame? My second attempt was a little better until I closed my eyes at which point no amount of arm flailing could keep me upright. Off I went like an out-of-control human windmill.

The next day, I thought I would try without an audience. With eyes wide open, I managed about 40 seconds with my arms thrust out like a figure skater trying to slow down. With eyes closed, maybe 3 seconds of success. The book of exercises that came with the ball then suggested trying one leg at a time. Do I seem stupid? That is never going to happen!

I did other exercises for strength using the ball and I am here to tell you, they are hard. Using the ball and an exercise resistance band, I got as good, or better, workout than I get at the gym. I highly recommend them for strength training but for balance....? Who knows, if I keep on trying, and I will, maybe I will improve.

In the meantime, I have to find balance between insanity and illusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment