counter

Monday 10 March 2014

Charge of the lite brigade

An annual event down here is "Winter Party". It is a gathering of gay men and lesbians (far more men than women). It is quite a party and it goes on for two days. The purpose of the gathering is not only to have a good time but also to assert and promote gay rights such as the right to marry. I believe in their rights and I believe in gay marriage so long, as someone said, it doesn't become compulsory!!!! I don't think I could ever switch sides.

My exercise regime did not change yesterday and the tremor did not return. However, I do have a problem and here it is.

My daughter sent us this a couple of days ago. This is what I will be returning to. How will I ever get in 6 miles a day through this morass? The answer is, "I won't". I will just have to find an alternate method to keep my tremor at bay.

Speaking of exercise and PD, here is a part of an article by dopadoc.

Tremor:

Tremor is fundamentally different from other Parkinson’s motor/movement symptoms for several reasons:

  1. It occurs in a very high proportion of patients while the others are more variable.
  2. It does not advance with the other motor problems as the disease progresses.
  3. It comes and goes on its own independently and not along with the “on/off” characteristics of the other motor symptoms like slowness and rigidity.
  4. It occurs at rest while the other symptoms are related to movement.

Exercise and Stress:

Exercise seems to help all symptoms across the board. I can personally attest to the fact that if I skip exercise for more than 2 days my tremor gets notably worse.

Others mention relaxation meditation as helping though I found no studies to support it. With me the tremor usually gets worse with stress so I would imagine that any technique involving practiced stress reduction and relaxation might improve things.

Read the whole article here

And that is just what I propose to do, exercise and relax, but first I am going to have to shovel snow. Got the exercise covered........

No comments:

Post a Comment