counter

Saturday 28 February 2015

If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

(Stephen Wright)
I humbly renounce all of my biases I have touted in the past about cities with hot, humid climates. I had a jihad against air filled with water. I hated Ottawa and Toronto because of the high humidity in the summer.

As I write this, I am back in South Beach for the next couple of weeks. I was not that anxious to come this year, because I was afraid my balance was such that I would not be able to complete the same walks that I have taken, year after year, around South Pointe (about 3 miles). Turns out I was wrong.

Back home, on the frozen prairie, where every mile feels like two, as I trudge through the snow, a long walk is 6000 steps as measured by my Fitbit. My goal has always been 10,000 a day. I think I made it a couple of times in the land of ice and snow. But, what really bothered me was when I completed my walk, I always felt like I was falling forward, a feeling that continued for several minutes. My balance was uncertain and I was unsure what caused it to be so and it brought me fears about my future with this "disease."

Things have changed for me over the past few days down here in FLA. My optimism has returned. My concerns about my balance have dissipated. What's the deal?

It is hot here, not usual, but it is uncharacteristically humid for this time of year. In Manitoba, we brag about our summer heat and always add "but it is a dry heat." I love the dry heat. The hotter, the better. Here, I am told that February & March is their dry season and the summer is unbearably humid. I am getting a taste of that humidity now and the result is, I have made 10,000 steps before lunch every day and have had as many as 18,000 a couple of times. My walks are uneventful. My balance is normal. My distance is equal to or greater than in previous years. I use my trekking poles, not out of fear of falling, but rather for a good workout. I have no parkie feelings and all is good. (except for the strange looks I get as I "pole" down the beach)

Why the difference? It has to be the heat and humidity. Is it better for PWP? Does heat and humidity have a positive effect on PD? I may have to extend my stay next year, you know, just to make sure. The only caveat for an extended stay, is our dollar has to get better in relation to the US dollar.

Oh well, by the time we get home, there will only be about 3 to 4 weeks until there is a significant melt and cottage season begins.

In the meantime, afternoon temperatures here are in the mid eighties. I can grok those kinds of temperatures and their effect on my condition. I actually enjoy my walks even if I am dripping wet when crossing the finish line.

As Yogi Berra once said, "It ain't the temperature, it's the humility."

No comments:

Post a Comment