counter

Monday 25 May 2015

Per aspera ad astra

From the May 15th edition of "the guardian weekly" the following:

"Exercising has proved beneficial for many neuro-psychiatric conditions - anxiety, depression, schizophrenia, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease. It can also help prevent cognitive decline. 'Physical activity is one of the most powerful factors stimulating brain plasticity, in the cortex in general, and in adult neurogenesis in particular, above all in the region of the hippocampus, which plays a part in memorizing processes,' says Professor Pierre-Marie Lledo, head of the neuroscience department at Institut Pasteur in Paris.

Alright, so I don't know what "brain plasticity", "cortex", "neurogenesis" and especially "hippocampus" mean, but the words are big enough and so smooth sounding, I do believe they lead to the conclusion that PWP should be exercising.

I will refrain from telling you "I told you so" to advise you to rid yourself of your sedentary life style. Just 3 hours a week of moderate exercise (walking, swimming, gardening") or 20 minutes three times a week of intense activity (running, aerobics, squash for example) cuts the risk of premature death by 30%.(from the same article) If it can stall death, think what it can do for PD!

I know exercising is a pain in the ass. I hate every step but I force myself to do it, usually 5-6 days per week, and sometimes 7. I have no fun doing it. I would rather be a couch potato but I know that every miserable step is worth the misery.

Hopefully a won't drop dead pursuant to the Law of Unintended Consequences.

1 comment:

  1. hippocampus - a school for hippos :) it feels like it some times

    ReplyDelete