counter

Wednesday 29 July 2015

Fear of dementia can be a butterfly kiss

One lady on a PD forum announced that she had just been diagnosed with Dementia with lewy bodies. I decided to read up on it. Whoa! Scary! I hope it goes well with her but her future does not look bright.

Having scared the ________________(fill in the blanks)out of me, I researched types of dementia. You know. Just for fun. Seems there nine different types of dementia and some have subsets with similar, but different symptoms. Here are the top six.

  1. Alzheimers
  2. Vascular dementia
  3. Dementia with Lewy bodies
  4. Parkinson's dementia
  5. Frontal-temporal dementia
  6. Creutzfeldt-Jakob (you have to be really unlucky to get this 1 in a million)

Have you wet your pants yet?

Fear of the unknown is man's greatest fear. One American president (FDR?) said that we have nothing to fear but fear itself. I'm not sure what he meant because when you boil it down, it isn't possible to fear fear. How can you fear the same emotion?

But I digress. I reluctantly confess to a little trepidation of dementia, of one kind or another, occupying my future. I admit it is a distant fear but it is there nonetheless. However, fellow parkies, take heed of the words of the 3 little pigs, "Who's afraid of the big bad wolf?" Enjoy the time you are dementialess. Live life as if you were going to go crazy tomorrow. Love, laugh and be happy. You live in a straw house already. You may never get dementia but, unfortunately, the big bad wolf will eventually eat you, morcel by morcel, over time.

Unless someone kills it first.

No comments:

Post a Comment