counter

Thursday 16 July 2015

Go hang your dreams on the hanging tree

What is it now? Three? Four nights in a row? My dreams are becoming a nuisance. Last night my wife awoke me by gently rubbing my shoulder and back. Apparently, I had yelled out loud "DON'T PUT YOUR FEET ON THE STREET". In my dream I was shouting "Don't put your feet on the substitute's face!". You figure it out. It makes no sense to me.

Shakespeare said "We are such stuff as dreams are made on...." Oh, oh. That doesn't sound good. Then there is Walt Disney who claimed "Dreams are a wish your heart makes". Sounds better. God forbid I should make a wish concerning a substitute teacher with a face full of feet. But, these dreams are so vivid, so real, that they feel like reality itself.It is difficult to decide who was right, William or Walt.

Old Sigmund opined that dreams were manifestations of inner turmoil, desires or anxieties (if I remember correctly) and he probably blamed it on mothers and repressed childhoods.

I have no inner turmoil and my childhood was A-plus, so I don't reckon Freud was correct for me. The dreams don't scare me and I don't try to interpret them in connection with my own life but I do wonder "What do I care if someone puts his foot in the face of a substitute teacher?". The fact is I don't ergo, my dream was a manifestation of nothing. It was just another little gift from the PD Gods- an invitation from Morpheus (or Hypnos) "Here chap, this will make your decline more interesting. Dream a little dream with me."

If I had the ability to do so, I might decline his offer but I might worry I was missing out on something. Fortunately, I am stuck with them, so my wife and I will just have to suffer a little sleep deprivation. Or, I could stay awake all night! One thing good about dreams is that they make you wonder. Thinking is a form of dream reinvention. It keeps you on your toes and brings out the scientist or dramatist in you. If you have never had a dream, you must be a boring person. I just wish they wouldn't be so excruciatingly vivid that I waken my wife. I will get it together and continue dreaming but I will also try to adjust the content away from feet to coincide with my desires and interests. Dreaming is a necessity for me, even PD dreams.

Let's just say, "I dream; therefor, I am."

No comments:

Post a Comment