counter

Monday 21 September 2015

"Dream big, like the Eiffel Tower"

It is not very impressive in pictures but when you stand beside it and look up, WHOA, VERTIGO! I am talking about the Eiffel Tower rising over 980 feet, just to poke your god in the eye and remind him/her who is boss in this neighborhood. It rises in all its glory practically in our backyard, so we have gone over a few times, day and night. This thing is massive, intricate and beautiful. The crowds are a deterrent but, what the hey, it is the most popular attraction in the city.

The sight of 3 machine gun toting soldiers on patrol looking for bad guys, while initially filling me with confidence, did not fill me with confidence, if you know what I mean.

But enough of the travelogue. My purpose here is 2-fold. First to tell you another human dog story. Stories in which the owner thinks the dog is human. You might recall the guy at South Beach berating his dog for barking at another dog "Stop it. I don't even know you anymore!". This new human dog story took place at La Tour Eiffel. The owner said to the dog, "Let's go boy" and the dog ran ahead onto a side road. The owner stopped the dog and very gently said,"Now, did we stop and look for cars. No we did not...." and the rest of his lesson was lost to me as we moved further ahead. Enough to make you laugh.

Enough to make you cry.

My second purpose is to warn the PwP tribe to take their medication in a timely fashion and try not to miss a scheduled dose. If you do, for many of you (us) you will lose your voice and have "brain farts" forgetting words and speaking too softly to be heard. It makes intelligent discourse impossible. It is best to remain silent and avoid the sympathy of those around you or take your voice training more seriously than I did.

There is danger here. If you keep on low talking, you might convince someone to wear a puffy shirt on TV and become the object of ridicule in an episode of Seinfeld.

I plan to go back to my voice therapist and take the training seriously this time. I urge you to do so too.

A private message to my friend with the unused training apparatus in her basement (you know who you are). I got you a present that will conjure up my thoughtfulness in bringing a piece of Paris home for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment