counter

Tuesday 29 September 2015

You don't need to reach the summit to realize a mountain is high.

Man, this place, St. Joan de Mediona, was beautiful. It is in the wine-growing region of Catalonia. You know, the Catalonia that wants to separate from Spain. All I can say is bona sort. (that is Buena suerte to you Spaniards) There are only 800 people in this village living together peacefully in close quarters.

My good friend, with whom we stayed, has cancer, his prognosis is looking good, thankfully. He has a beautiful family.

Mountains, mountains, everywhere and I need a drink. My friend and I are metaphorically climbing mountains, prolonged and incomprehensible, thirsty stuff, but if and when we reach the top, we win! We are cured. His cancer vanishes; my PD becomes the stuff of legends, a sort of grand slam small-poxian victory. In the meantime, we can see the summit and know that cure awaits us - someday.

I didn't climb any mountains in Mediona, but since flat ground around Catalonia is all but non-existent, I was always ascending or descending, usually in a maze of narrow streets, but, here is the good news: I did it without the use of my trekking poles and never, not for one second, did I feel like festination would interrupt my triumphant stroll. We trudged about 4 miles everyday (4 days). A couple of times I forgot to take my medication and would start off the day with tremors that would quickly disappear as the miles went by, slowly. My God, how slowly I walk!

CONCLUSION: Exercise works. It can diminish the symptoms of PD and, I believe, the lack of symptoms means exercise is slowing the progression of the disease. So work boy, work, and the truth of my conclusion shall be revealed.

We all have the same mountains to climb.

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made straight and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Well, I am not so sure about that glory of the Lord stuff, but it doesn't hurt to cover all bases.

1 comment:

  1. I have read your blog and know you are very high on exercise and physical activity. I have read, however, that exercise and intense activity uses up dopamine, presumably affecting symptoms. What is your take on it?

    ReplyDelete