counter

Wednesday 30 November 2016

Step right up folks, I have liquid happiness in this little bottle

Let's face it we are sitting ducks for a confidence man. We tend to look twice at the newest claim about treating PD and wonder if there is any truth to it. Are we in danger of becoming marks to someone we trust, who has gained our confidence, who is selling snake oil like those frauds at old time fairs?

The truth is, we will try anything.

There is another approach, get the facts folks, nothing but the facts, before shovelling out your savings for the latest book or the latest remedy. Ask yourself questions or seek answers from others - you know veterns of PD's assault on our bodies. Try these out, for example:

  1. Ask yourself, Does it seem too good to be true? If it does, it probably is too good to be true, just another con on a vulnerable audience .
  2. I look to who did the research? I am contented with the content/claims in an advertisement, if an medical expert in the field, or a drug researcher, wrote the book or discovered the medication.
  3. I am sceptical about claims of cures or treatment made by chiropractors who are obsessed with spinal manipulation. (Sorry practitioners, just part of my philosophy)
  4. How much does it cost? If it seems to be too much, don't buy it. In fact, don't buy anything that makes grand announcements about PD.
  5. I get very wary if an advertisement contains the words, "all natural", "cure", "buy one and we will send you a second free" "free delivery", and "virtually". Words like these tingle my spidy sense; they are designed to lure me into making a purchase.
  6. Finally, anything advertised on social media I avoid. That's easy for me as I rarely go beyond Facebook.

In the words of Arron B. Powell

“Sometimes we want to believe something so badly that we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of.”

Initially, post diagnosis, I would try anything. I spent a fortune on Coenzyme Q10, which might have been good for something, but not for PD. I ate fava bean soup by the gallons and got nothing in return. I put on several pounds by chowing down on chocolate bars (said to be helpful at a Minimum 75% cacao). I tried Mucuna Pruriens (an herb that actually does contain dopamine)to no positive effect. Finally I gave up with natural remedies and turned to exercise and a cocktail of parkinson's drugs prescribed by my neurologist. The drugs have taken dominion over my symptoms and I hope the exercise is slowing its progress. I am entering my 7th year since a murderer of some kind decided my dopamine producing brain cells should be wasted and still nobody who sees me knows I have PD and are genuinely surprised when I tell them.

My advice is to avoid any natural remedy. Regular exercise and nutrition are all that is necessary and follow your neuro's advice if it is different than mine.

Next blog will deal with AtraMorine, the newest miracle drug...sure!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete