counter

Sunday 20 November 2016

PD - Unwelcome, yet welcome

Alzheimer's is the gradual eroding of imagination and intellect.  I know, because I watched my father's brain wither slowly away until it was only when there were flashes of memory that he knew who I was.  These flashes grew weaker and weaker but I think he recognized me, if only for a second, a few days before his death.  He was  a brave man.  He knew he had alzheimer's yet he walked boldly into his future.  Will I stroll boldly into mine?

PD and Alzheimers are both degenerative neurologic conditions, but they are different.  With PD, I stand a 75 -80% chance of dying a semi-dignified death with my brain intact, though my body be beaten.  There was no such dignity to my father's death.  He died with his body in the shape of a typical 86 year old but his brain was fried.  

I wonder if PD will turn into Alzheimers.  I dunno, but I think not.  They affect 2 different areas of the brain.

From what I have read, PD involves the substantia nigra, that part of the brain that affects movement; Alzheimers involves the hippocampus and the entorhinal cortex, that part of the brain that controls intellect and memory.  Someday, I might not be able to walk, but I will still be able to think and remember.  My father could walk fairly well (the walk of a 86 year old man), but he could no longer think.  Nope, his memory was kaput.

All things considered, if I had to choose, I would rather have PD.

I guess it might be possible for PD and Alzheimer's to co-exist, but I don't want to think about that.

In fact, I am through thinking for today.  The hockey game is on TV at 4pm and I plan to "veg out" until that time.

                 "It occurred to me that at one point it was like I had two diseases - 
                  one was Alzheimer's, and the other was knowing I had Alzheimer's." 
                  (Terry Pratchett)

No comments:

Post a Comment