counter

Monday 20 March 2017

We are such stuff as our dreams are made on...Shakespeare

The one good thing that has come to me from the darkness of PD is the virtual reality dream. Other than that, there is nothing appealing about the disease. It is trying to break me down and thinks that these weird dreams will speed me to its desired goal and get me to my destiny more quickly.

Not going to happen!

My strength is the fact that I love these dreams, as strange as they are. Last night's was a beauty.

SCENE ONE: I am a searcher, looking for someone or something. I am doing my best but it is hard in this snow. I see three big buildings, all of which are dormitories. There are no other buildings so, when the three suddenly appear, stark and dark in the winter snow, they look quite ominous.

I enter the dream, stage right, and start toward the first building. The hair on the back of my neck stands up and I shudder silently. The problem is, the closer I get to the building, the farther away the building seems to be. I remember that curious puzzle where a man shoots an arrow at a tree. During its flight, the arrow is half way to the tree. Then it is a quarter of the way, followed by and eighth, sixteenth, etc, so that the arrow never hits the tree. It is always half the distance from the point it just left. I smile and spit on the snow and say aloud, "If nothing else, I will get there. No matter what the puzzle concludes. It is not reality" and I look back at my footprints in the snow. I notice smaller prints inside of my prints. I check it out, but there is nobody here, there, or anywhere; just endless snow and those three buildings.

SCENE TWO: I am in the first building and have been confronted by an old girlfriend, I don't really recognize her. She could be anybody. She makes me nervous, a little frightened. She is dressed in a black uniform, as are all her minions that have suddenly appeared behind her. An army of black jackets. There is a crest on her jacket. It is this crest that causes me to shudder, for in large print are the words, "Golf Club", and below the crest is an embroidered patch, "I am the leader". She comes toward me. I feel a cold rush of air. I stand my ground; determined not to let her get to me. She whispers in my ear and I start running out of building, headed toward the second building, but the snow is deep. My legs feel heavy and I am breathing through my mouth, loud gasps for air. I feel a hand on my back. It is caressing me, up and down, and it soothes me.

I wake up. It is my wife doing the soothing. She has experienced my VR dreams in the past. She asks me if I was fighting or running in this one. She had been awakened by my breathing. I tell her I was running and within a couple of minutes I am asleep again, never to find out who the girl was; why I was afraid of "Golf Club; or what it was she said to make me run.

An action-packed dream and convincingly life-like; so much so, I can remember it perfectly.

Edgar Allan Poe wrote, "all that we see or seem, is but a dream within a dream", or something like that. Is my life a dream within a dream or am I a searcher dreaming that I am a blogger with PD, writing about a searcher? Are vivid dreams caused by the disease or by the medication taken to control the disease's symptoms?

Who knows? who cares?.......Gotta love a good dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment