counter

Friday 26 May 2017

Hello Darkness, my old fiend

What a difference an "r" makes! Replace the "r" in "fiend"and I could be one or the other.

Not so, my dark companion, PD.  It's just a slow moving fiend, intent on taking control of my body.  I am doing everything I can to slow it down, but like the zombies in a movie, it is relentless in its purpose.

For 7 years, it has been a wash, but now, I feel it beginning to make intrusions into my defences and into my social life (which never has been that good).

A few months ago I was honoured by students I had taught in elementary school about 40 years ago.  They are now in their 50's and they invited me to attend their high school reunion.  It was wonderful to see them again.  I was the centre of attention for many of those present.*  A few days previous to the reunion, one special lady emailed me to suggest we get together at the reunion and find time to chat and then she added, "But you will probably be like a rock star."

She was right.  It felt great!

I spoke to many of my ex-students, but then PD raised its ugly head to try to ruin my evening.  My mouth dried up, I stammered and my voice started to disappear.  I looked stupid and weak.  I know they knew of my battle with Parkinson's  and would cut me some slack but my embarrassment was beginning to take over and so, after 2 or 3 hours, I left, weaving down the dark pathways.  I must have looked drunk, though I had only had part of a glass of water.

This battle with PD is wearing me down.

Will no one rid of this meddlesome  curse?!!!


        * only about half of the people there were former students.

No comments:

Post a Comment