counter

Friday 17 November 2017

I have seen the future. It is murder!

Ok.  It is 10AM.  I don't feel like I am going to fall over every step.  That's good, because yesterday I felt, at times, as if I had had too much to drink, displaying the steadiness of one who imbibes while walking the decks of the doomed Titanic.  What was it that made yesterday a shipwreck while today, I have no problems?  I think it was pulling my granddaughter in a sled to her school, over 1/2 of a mile, through new snow.  It was hard slogging for sure.  I was forced to bend forward with both hands behind my back to pull the sled at a decent speed.  When I dropped her off and started walking the half mile home, I felt a familiar feeling in my legs.  I was walking like a statue, clopping along, club footing.  Forget heel-toe, I had to concentrate on remaining upright.  I had felt this unease before yesterday's follies,  3 times to be precise  I was beginning to lean forward, awkwardly.  My steps were getting shorter and I felt like running.  I knew what was happening.  

Festination is an alteration in gait pattern characterised by a quickening and shortening of normal strides. This phenomenon is most commonly observed in patients with Parkinson's, and is sometimes known as Parkinsonian gait.

Parkinsonian gait indeed!  I was 30 meters from home when I knew I was going to fall.  Not a good feeling.  I stumbled across my lawn, through the snow. I was falling in a pinwheel rush, trying to stop the inevitable crash, when  I managed a death-like grasp at the stair-railing,  and saved face by pulling myself up.  My body was still moving forward even as I slowly entered the house.  My mind kept telling my legs to stop moving and eventually, I was able to sit down and rest.

It took a while to recover but eventually, I finally felt stable.  The rest of the day had me practically bouncing off walls and tipping over the lines in the floor pattern.  I had had a taste of my future.  I metaphorically spit it out and I  will no longer spend time dwelling on that future.  I know it won't be great.  Instead, I shall live the present content on the knowledge that I am doing my best to avoid "things" on the horizon.

Anyway, it is my day for boxing, so "things" are looking better, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment