counter

Wednesday 22 November 2017

Will my lucky little star really shine, really shine?

I seem to have recovered somewhat. My balance has improved. I know this because I test myself each morning and anyway, I feel better walking. I feel lucky again. It was time for some kind of luck, preferably not bad; although, when you think about it, does "bad luck" really exist at all. A person is either lucky or unlucky. Bad luck is simply a lack of luck.

So endith the philisophical portion of this lecture.

Sorry, I just thought of more. Maybe people create luck when they plan for it. For example, I am trying to do everything in my power to keep my PD under control. If I succeed, I will deserve the sobriquet, "lucky guy". I am feeling lucky and plan to stay that way.

As you might be aware, Rock Steady Boxing is my latest weapon. At the age of 71, I am learning how to punch with power. I can do 20 pushups fairly easily and have achieved other heights of madness I hadn't embraced for eons. I can even skip rope; something I couldn't accomplish in my 20's. This is all thanks to the careful planning of the folks at the gym.

The most important gift I have received from boxing, is the creation of new pathways in my brain. I know them to be there, because I encounter them daily. I can feel the growth of my timing which leads to a better walking stride and less stress. I have a heavy bag at home and every so often, I smack that bag with all my new prowess, releasing any stress or distress and parking it there. Ten minutes of beating up the bag renders me stress free for a time and every PWP knows, less stress is good for the soul and lessens the power of PD.

Boxing is not the only solution. Try any form of exercise. Exercise. Exercise. Then exercise some more.

If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment. (Marcus Aurelius)

No comments:

Post a Comment