counter

Friday 22 June 2018

Feelin' Groovy

I knew it! I knew it all along! Parkinson's is too complex to be pigeonholed into one of the 5 stages of the Hoehn and Yahr staging chart. I didn't fit into any stage completely. I thought my PD was relatively benign but Hoehn and Yahr had me believing I was deep into stage 3. I am not.

The Davis Phinney Foundation divides the progress of PD into 3 stages:

EARLY STAGE

  • One side of the body affected (so far that is me but occasionally I feel it might be making forays into my left side.
  • decreased stride or dragging the feet (no dragging but decreased stride for me)
  • decreased arm swing (nope)
  • scuffling of toes (yup)
  • change in leg co-ordination when running or cycling (yup - no longer do those)
  • sense of muscle fatigue (not sure. I feel fine right now)
  • difficulty completing repetitive movements (not that I have noticed)
  • trouble with hand coordination (nope)
  • reduced range of motion in shoulders, shoulder pain (got both in spades)
  • mask-like face (don't think so)
  • decreased or small handwriting (Oh boy! have I ever!)

MID STAGE

  • symptoms on both sides (not yet)
  • Soft speech (Oh, Oh)
  • mild swallowing problems (sometimes)
  • flex or bent posture (have to admit, that's me)
  • motor fluctuations and dyskinesia (nope)
LATE STAGE
  • balance problems (sometimes)
  • increased shuffle, freezing of gait & festination (all three but that was 4 years ago - never again after that)
  • significant speech and swallowing problems (speech yes, swallowing no)
  • drooling (no)
  • rigidity in the neck (yup)

Well that clears things up! I am either in the first, second or third stage, (or all three)

Right now, I feel great.

No comments:

Post a Comment