counter

Saturday 17 November 2018

Time, time, time, see what's become of me??

Putting on socks is turmoil; Pulling up pants is taxing and those first steps in the morning are tragic.

This is my daybreak routine.

Even getting out of bed is a comedy of errors. Once up, I do about 20 minutes of stretching, enough to help me remain upright, followed by a half hour on the bike or treadmill.

You long-time readers will recognize a significant decrease in the amount of exercise; almost cut in half.

There are reasons for this dilution.

  1. I hurt my shoulder in boxing and I had to cut out weights and take it very easy while jabbing.
  2. I had to stop walking, with or without poles, due to balance issues
  3. I liked not being able to exercise. You see, I am bit OC and had I tried to keep up the usual routine, I eventually would have burned out and quit altogther
  4. I am a young 72, but not that young! I feel 25 but, unfortunately, the time-tide rules. The past as a percentage of your life grows while the future gets smaller and smaller until it disappears. I am not 25 and my future is destined to bring me down, every muscle weakened by its passage. I am weaker now than last year!
  5. What do you expect? I have the shaking palsy!
But, while I sound depressed, I am not. My symptoms are far less onerous compared to what they should be entering my 9th year since diagnosis.

Time, like the fog*, comes on little cat feet and is quietly and quickly passing us by.

Time is really just the passage of events and PWP should make their events positive and memorable.

Lesson learned. Positive thinking and a little exercise is what keeps me going but I may face a future event that will test me and my principles greatly. You will know if it happens.

Stay tuned.

*Carl Sandberg, "Fog"

No comments:

Post a Comment