counter

Monday 21 January 2019

Attack of the skin rippers


Seborrheic dermatitis is a superficial fungal disease of the skin, occurring in areas rich in sebaceous glands.  It presents as flaking skin on the scalp, face and sometimes elsewhere.

Disorders in Parkinson’s disease: potential biomarkers and risk factors


Seborrhea has been associated with PD, with a prevalence as high as 52%–59%. In 1927, Krestin reported seborrheic facies as a cutaneous manifestation of parkinsonism, particularly in post-encephalic parkinsonism, and described the skin as shiny, greasy, and with characteristic scarring acne. In a retrospective study on the association between seborrheic dermatitis and PD, Tanner et al proposed that seborrheic dermatitis might represent a premotor feature of PD, ascribable to autonomic nervous system dysregulation, and suggested that seborrheic dermatitis could serve as an early disease marker of PD.  (Published online 2017 Mar 9. )

I wondered why my scalp was dry and producing dandruff at an alarming rate, I just thought that the top of my head, which is now almost totally follically challenged, was just putting on a show; but, when patches of skin started forming flakes on my face,  I got concerned.  I tried getting in to see my dermatologist, but his assistant and he were both absent, so I turned to my general practitioner, a gentle and totally competent physician who usually got me in to see him very quickly.  This time, his assistant was absent and a replacement was handling his appointments and no matter how much I complained, she stood her ground at a 2 week waiting period.

I was left with the internet where I found the above research.  I was not a leper!  I got (when I say "I", I mean " my wife"), got some non-prescription creme for me.  I think it was creme meant for psoriasis, but it worked; my skin is soft as a baby's bum, except for the road map of wrinkles that decorates my face.

I don't know of any other person with Parkinson's who has fought this battle.  I am just lucky  I guess.





No comments:

Post a Comment