counter

Wednesday 21 September 2011

For this, be sure, tonight thou shalt have cramps, side-stitches that shall pen thy breath up”

Everyone gets the occasional foot cramp but, about 7 years ago, I was getting them a few times a week, usually, if not always, when I was lying in bed. They were not the wretched cramps I get now where my foot twists itself in and up; they were the ordinary annoying cramps that make you get out of bed and hop around. They were not long lasting and did no damage.

This went on for several weeks. Their frequency worried me. I even mentioned it to my doctor who found nothing unusual about them. I felt foolish for bringing it up. Surely he had more serious problems to deal with. He was non-judgmental and sent me on my way, relieved that I didn't have a monumental illness.

Now, I find out that such foot spasms could be a forewarning of neurological problems, such as parkinson's. Who would have thought!?!

As I said, everyone gets the occasional cramp and 99.9% are not symptoms of parkinson's or any other severe condition. But if your doctor says, "I have good news and bad news. The good news is you are not a hypochondriac." Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment