counter

Sunday 18 September 2011

Strikes and gutter balls

For two days, I was symptom free (thanks to the drugs) and able to participate in life without feeling embarrassed by a right hand and arm doing a salsa. Neither were there any charlie horses, or agonizing muscle curls, at night. I still could not sleep for more than 3 hours straight and so I got up early and was out walking my daughter's dogs at 4:30AM. That got rid of my daily exercise. Things were looking good.

But later, while lying down watching TV, I felt those familiar sparks in my legs. I prepared myself for the worst but that gut-wrenching twisting of my leg muscle did not appear. I relaxed. A few minutes later, my toes began to curl down. I was determined not to let them have their way. Through concentration, I held them at bay. I relaxed - big mistake. As soon as I quit concentrating, they continued to curl down and my foot went into spasm. That hurts! The sole of my foot was tender. I did my usual - stand for a few minutes and the foot and toes gave in and went away.

Sometimes, you just can't win...and with PD, you don't stand a chance, but it is important to keep on trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment