counter

Thursday 25 October 2012

Situation Tolerable

I work out of my home and when clients come to see me, they sit on a couch and I sit in front of them on a stool and hand them the papers they need to sign. It was no different last night - 3 clients, husband, wife and wife's father.

I was not expecting them that night (mix up, probably my fault)so when the doorbell rang, I was slow to answer in case it was somebody trying to convince me that Jesus walked among North American Indians. I took my time getting out of my pyjamas (pajamas), and puling on some "sweats." Looking all disheveled, I answered the door to find my clients patiently waiting for me. Fortunately, they were courteous and didn't react to my appearance and equally fortunately, all the papers they had to sign were ready. I invited them in. The husband and wife sat on one sofa and the father sat in another one across the room. I sat on the stool between them.

When I say I "sat", I did so only after having PD momentarily hit me. As I was going down to sit on the stool, I lost my balance. The feeling of helplessness lasted only a nanosecond, but it was enough, and I fell backward onto the floor.

"Are you OK," the wife asked, genuinely concerned.

"Yes," I replied and I explained to them that I have PD and lately have had some balance problems. The situation was embarrassing, but tolerable.

The PD forums are full of people who won't divulge they have the condition for one reason or another, but embarrassment is prominent among those reasons. I tell anyone & everyone (obviously - anyone can read this blog) and I ask you, if your lawyer fell off a stool, creating a scene, would you, as his client, be more comfortable with a diagnosis of PD as opposed to alcoholism or worse, plain stupidity?

At least now, I have an excuse, one that everybody sympathizes with, when I act foolish

Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that it's compounding a felony. ~Robert Benchley

No comments:

Post a Comment