counter

Saturday 29 December 2012

The Boy in the Bubble

Sometimes, while on my morning walk, I can feel that my legs are not working properly. They move OK and my wife tells me I look normal, but there is a strange, indescribable feeling that something is not quite right and if it were not so early and dark, and there was an audience, they would be staring at me and wondering if I was drunk.

I can also feel quite a little uncertain when I stand or turn suddenly. It is as if my sense of balance has taken a holiday. I haven't fallen and I am trying to make sure that doesn't happen

Some good news - I haven't had problems swallowing since just before diagnosis. I haven't had a repeat of too much saliva affecting my speech. Any ruddiness from the amantadine has gone. I am able to stay up until 10:30 (as opposed to 8:30 early on). So far as I know, the tremor is not in my right leg and is totally absent from the left side of my body (although, it might be there, but the drugs are masking it). Maybe it is progressing very slowly. One can only hope.

As for those indefinite feelings when I am walking, etc, they are merely stumbling blocks that I will turn into stepping stones to a reasonably dignified future and as Abe Lincoln said, "the best thing about the future is it comes one day at a time."

My new year's resolution will be to live one day at a time and ignore the future beyond the next day.

Happy New Year to all.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad I found the information for your blog on the forum. You are a very good writer and it is comforting to read about things that I can relate to on my own journey into the unknown.

    ReplyDelete