counter

Sunday 18 May 2014

Chicory chick, cha-la, cha-la

Long weekend - tradition says we go to the lake for the weekend. We, along with our daughter and her sweet little girl, step into the cabin and immediately turn on the heat. It is 10C outside, but inside it is cooler. While the rest of Canada basks in above normal temperatures, we are 5 - 10C below normal. (Take a look at the picture below for proof. That is ICE a couple of metres offshore!)

We huddle in the cottage that evening but when I awake the next day, I decide that I should do my beach walk, something I had not done since last fall. I complete the walk and am disturbed to learn I was 10 minutes slower than last year. I am quick to blame it on parkinson's, which might be the correct thing to do; however, maybe I just took my time. In fact, if PD has slowed me down at all, it is because I am more aware of bumps in the sidewalk and other such traps waiting for me. My stride seems normal, arm swing natural; everything is tickety-boo. Copacetic so to speak.

When I get home, I google "slow parkinson's". My search is too broad and I end up with articles about slow progressing PD. I find out that for many, progression is very slow. I conclude I am one of the lucky ones, for now, my PD seems to be progressing at glacial speed (here I knock on wood). I also found this little gem that details the progression of PD in a far better way than does the stage 1 - 5 method of assessing the sufferer.

Mild Parkinson’s

  • Movement symptoms may be inconvenient, but do not affect daily activities
  • Movement symptoms, often tremor, occur on one side of the body
  • Friends may notice changes in a person’s posture, walking ability or facial expression
  • Parkinson's medications suppress movement symptoms effectively
  • Regular exercise improves and maintains mobility, flexibility, range of motion and balance, and also reduces depression and constipation

Moderate Parkinson’s

  • Movement symptoms occur on both sides of the body
  • The body moves more slowly
  • Trouble with balance and coordination may develop
  • “Freezing” episodes — when the feet feel stuck to the ground — may occur
  • Parkinson's medications may “wear off” between doses
  • Parkinson's medications may cause side effects, including dyskinesias (involuntary movements)
  • Regular exercise, perhaps with physical therapy, continues to be important for good mobility and balance
  • Occupational therapy may provide strategies for maintaining independence
Advanced Parkinson’s

  • Great difficulty walking; in wheelchair or bed most of the day
  • Not able to live alone
  • Assistance needed with all daily activities
  • Cognitive problems may be prominent, including hallucinations and delusions
  • Balancing the benefits of medications with their side effects becomes more challenging
  • At all stages of Parkinson's, effective therapies are available to ease symptoms and make it possible for people with Parkinson's to live well.

    I will accept that little tidbit of optimism and remember it to warm me up tonight as the below normal temperatures continue.

    I have mild parkinson's! Not moderate. Not advanced. Just "mild" only.................... (here I touch wood with both hands)


    No comments:

    Post a Comment