counter

Monday 17 November 2014

Am I struggling to deny the obvious?

Sometimes I feel like I am on ski's in a snowless world. I can be quite naive about my problems vis-a-vis realty.

On the various PD forums I visit, I often find that the newly diagnosed are scared and can only see a bleak future for themselves. On the other hand, when I was diagnosed, my response when the neuro gave me the news was "Oh....hmm...what was that? My wife will want tI o know the details."

He looked over his glasses and repeated, "It is early stage parkinson's"

I think he must have thought me odd as I had no real reaction. I knew parkinson's was not good but somehow thought it wasn't all that bad.

I continue to remain upbeat in the face of a possibly devastating future. I just don't think it will be terrible. Perhaps I lack commonsense. Or, maybe I am in denial, but I don't think so. Only time will tell.

I know of one lady on a forum who has had the condition for 17 years and still leads a normal life. Seventeen years from now I will probably not have to worry about PD. Oddly, this lady and I are the same age (68) and our mothers died in the same year at the same age and we both kept our condition a secret from them so as not to ruin their last days.

But, I digress. I know PD is a designer disease and each victim is different. Some people get the condition at a very young age (eg. Michael J. Fox when he was 29 or 30). Others, are diagnosed at an appropriate age (me - 64). I want to tell the new PWP "It's not so bad" but that would only be my experience. Like I said - a designer disease. I got lucky. I think I would have had a different reaction to the neuro's diagnosis if I had early onset. I won't try to paint a rosy future because who knows how hard the disease will hit the newbies. I feel for those who were not so "lucky" as I was, but even for people who are newly diagnosed at whatever age, think positively. I believe that within my somewhat limited lifetime a drug or procedure will be discovered that severely slows the progression of PD or cures it altogether.

Nothing is incurable. It is just that we have yet to find the cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment