counter

Saturday 1 November 2014

Conundrum

Just to make sure I was using the word "conundrum" correctly, I googled it and found two different definitions:

  • first definition:a confusing and difficult problem or question.
  • second definition: A riddle whose answer is or involves a pun or unexpected twist

I confess I didn't know the second definition but the first warrants further inquiry.

The only conundrum I intended to write about arose out of a thread in a parkinson's forum - ie - does the flu shot exacerbate PD symptoms. I doubt there is a definitive answer. PD is a designer disease. It differs from individual to individual. In my case, I would have to say yes, the flu shot had an effect on my symptoms. For two days following the shot, I felt more parky than I had in a long time. My balance was affected (not severely, but noticeably), as was my gait (parkinson's gait). Coincidence? Maybe. But, I think not. I have not googled to find out if there is a connection because

  1. Having had a very disturbing time with the flu a couple of years ago, any parky feeling is not even in the same class as the flu "bug". It took me 8 days to recover from the flu, and
  2. the parky feeling has left me now, so why bother.

You can find the thread at parkinsons.org.uk.

Now to definition #2. This is one I wrote 30 years ago, never realizing it was a conundrum;

A man has a dog that's a stray
It moves in a peculiar way
The dog has no legs
Do you think the dog begs
To go for a drag every day?

That's it for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment