counter

Sunday 3 July 2016

Family: a link to our past & a bridge to our future.

In the words of the Spanish-American philosopher, George Santayana, "Family is one of nature's masterpieces."

We had a family reunion this past weekend. It was held at our cottage, with families from Toronto, Winnipeg and Vancouver. 31 of us in total. I was touched by the affection we all have for each other and how sweet the young children were. Not a serial killer among them. It was sad to have it all come to an end and I miss them already. But as my brother said, "Let's not get maudlin."

OK, let's not get maudlin; after all, this a blog about parkinson's. So let's get on with it.

My sister, who has children with ADHD (great kids - no hyperactivity) wondered if there was a connection between ADHD and PD because of the role of dopamine in both conditions. I was interested, so I googled "ADHD" and "dopamine" and discovered this:

Previously it was thought that the elevated number of dopamine transporters in people with ADHD was part of the pathophysiology but it appears that the elevated numbers are due to adaptation to exposure to stimulants.[107] Current models involve the mesocorticolimbic dopamine pathway and the locus coeruleus-noradrenergic system.[101][102][103] ADHD psychostimulants possess treatment efficacy because they increase neurotransmitter activity in these systems.[102][103][108] There may additionally be abnormalities in serotoninergic and cholinergic pathways.[108][109] Neurotransmission of glutamate, a cotransmitter with dopamine in the mesolimbic pathway,[110] seems to be also involved.[

Hmmm, interesting. Of course you realize I have no idea what it means, except, I think it says dopamine and ADHD are in some form of relationship.

That begs the question, "Is there a relationship between ADHD and parkinson's?"

The answer is "I don't know. Maybe, The articles I read are not conclusive; some hint at a relationship, some deny it." So, let's see if the riddle can be solved by comparing ADHD and PD symptoms (a simple, probably too simple analysis)

  1. emotions - ADHD sufferers can be moody. Depression not uncommon. PD - emotional, at times weepy, 25% of us will suffer from depression.
  2. Memory problems - PWADHD have problems learning due to poor memories, the cause of which I don't understand. PWP also have memory problems. I can attest to that. My word finding abilities are rapidly deteriorating.
  3. Movement problems - PWADHD nearly constant movement somewhere in their bodiew, inability to remain still for long periods. PWP's lack of dopamine produces tremors, twitching and muscle cramping.
  4. Inattention - PWADHD are, well, attention deficit. PWP If you are like me, you have a problem focusing. I have trouble reading the newspaper. I just want to get on with the article and find myself searching for the writer's conclusion in the last paragraphs. From there, I can figure out the gist of the article

All right. My comparisons could not be less scientific. Notwithstanding that little detail, I find myself thinking there is a connection between ADHD and PD, but I could change my mind if confronted with an iota of evidence to the contrary.

My thoughts are like butterflies; they land in all their beauty but easily fly away. The problem is I am easily distracted by shiny things, Isn't that the definition of ADHD? and I have PD. Coincidence? I think not, or maybe, or.....Who the hell knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment