counter

Monday 11 July 2016

Standing up to the PD bully.

Einstein once said "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving."

I don't think he was talking about PD, but Einstein was a fairly smart guy and so, like finding meaning in poetry, we can interpret his words any way we want.

I bring up the question of "balance" because I am having small balance issues. I have had them before but of lesser magnitude. Now, when I stand, I must pause to allow a sort of dizziness to sort itself out. I often have to sit back down, an involuntary "I'm up. Nope, I'm down" moment.

My wife bought me pole for the bathroom, to help me enter and exit the tub. I have only had problems exiting a few times but with this pole, I have no problems at all. It also helps in other bathroom activities. Yesterday, I was rising from the toilet when I had one of those "Up/down" attacks. I reached out and grabbed the pole and saved myself. Looking back, I am sure I would have suffered damage if it were not for the pole. I think I will get one beside my bed. Can't hurt.

I am aware of the correct movements for success in standing. I just forget them sometimes. Here is a youtube video of an exercise to improve standing. The motion is exaggerated for exercise purposes, but for ordinary standing, lessen the exaggeration, but use the same movements. Feet apart, lean low and forward and sort of slide into the standing position. It is very easy and works every time. This is an example of ways to make life as a PWP more satisfying. It is a small thing for improving life, but isn't it always the small things that are important.

I am trying to learn all of the tricks for living with PD. When I do discover something, I will pass on the information.<(> As for the future, I think I will embody another of Einstein's pearls of wisdom, "I never think of the future - it comes soon enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment