counter

Tuesday 29 August 2017

Everything is Relative

I was awakened last night, just after midnight, by a bone curdling cramp in my left foot. I haven't had one that bad for a few years and it came without warning. You know the kind, the kind that grips your foot and tries to turn it up. Probably caused by a time zone change when I flew to BC and I screwed up my medicine schedule. It can only be cured by standing. I did so and sure enough, it receded and I was able to sleep.

Before dozing off, I heard on the radio that North Korea launched another missile over Japan. The interviewer was certain that the regime would eventually toss a big one toward the USA. It would be a mistake. North Korea would cease to exist. There is always hope for the future that mutually assured destruction will keep us in peace.

Oh, did I tell you I had a foot cramp last night?

From Locksley Hall (Tennyson 1809 -1892)

For I dipped into the future, far as human eye could see
Saw the vision of the world, all the wonder that would be;
Saw the heavens fill with commerce, argosies of magic sails
Pilots of the purple twilight, dropping down with costly bales;
Heard the heavens fill with shouting, and there rained a ghastly dew
From the nations' airy navies grappling in the central blue;
Far along the world-wide whisper of the south wind rushing warm,
With the standards of the peoples plunging through the thunder-storm;
Till the war drum throbbed no longer, and the battle flags were furled
In the Parliament of man, the Federation of the world.
There the common sense of most shall hold a fretful realm in awe,
And the kindly earth shall slumber, lapped in universal law.

By the way, I had a cramp in my foot last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment