counter

Tuesday 9 January 2018

Nocturia, Nocturia you bastard

Nocturia, or nocturnal polyuria, is the medical term for excessive urination at night. During sleep time, your body produces less urine that is more concentrated. This means that most people don't need to wake up during the night to urinate and can sleep uninterrupted for 6 to 8 hours.

Not so for we prisoners of parkinson's. No, we are different. The amount of urine I produce during the night could cure a hundred jelly-fish stings.

I suffer 3 or 4 sleep interruptions during my night. When I am lying down, coming out of a restless sleep, I feel the need to pee. As soon as I stand up, I feel the NEED to pee. I believe it is called URGENCY and I can't adequately describe how urgent it gets, except to say, I have little or no time to flick on the correct light switch. To that end and to guide me to the toilet, we attached a motion detector thing-a-majig that lights up the bowl with different colors. I can now pee in peace with a light show to entertain me.

Anyway, back to business. For you people who avoided the gift of PD, here is a list of possible conditions that can attack a PWP in the dark:

  1. insomnia
  2. Virtual reality horror dreams
  3. severe leg cramps
  4. restless leg syndrome (RLS)
  5. And now NOCTURIA

Not every PWP will have all of those symptoms. For example, I have had all but one. I have never experienced restless leg syndrome!

Come on PD, leave me alone. No RLS for me. You have hit me with your heaviest weapons already.

Isn't time for an armistice at least?

No comments:

Post a Comment