counter

Monday 29 January 2018

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories"- Steven Wright

A caretaker asked this question on a Parkinson's discussion website and I responded with an entry from my blog:

Has anyone heard of leg cramps as a pre Parkinsonism symptom? My dad has Parkinson’s and he had bad leg cramps earlier before the diagnosis. Any thought?
Here is the entry from my blog
Saturday, 13 AUGUST 2011

Pop up little flower pot, pop up.

The beast struck at 4AM. Suddenly my right leg shot straight out and shrieked with pain. I sat bolt upright, my leg rock hard and my right foot starting to turn inward and upward. It wasn't the first time my brain had struck with such ferocity. I knew what to do. I jumped out of bed, forcing my wayward foot square to the floor and stood there for a couple of minutes as the agony turned to ecstasy. I had won the battle with my brain. Time for a little celebration - tempered by the knowledge that it was a pyrrhric victory, for I can never win the war.

It is strange what thoughts go through your head as you await your relief. It is 1956 and I am a boy in Larkhill, England. I have lived here for a year. I am pretending to be a champion bowler on a cricket team. Time after time I try to imitate the windmill, straight arm delivery of a bowler but my North American muscles betray me. Too much baseball. My brain won't help me. My arm won't remain stiff through the windmill windup and I end up leading with my elbow. I am frustrated but keep on trying. To this day, I have been unsuccessful, but every now and then, when I am alone, I try it with a nerf ball - without success - but that doesn't mean I will quit trying. I just have to convince my brain. Manage

At least my memory is intact.....for now anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment