counter

Wednesday 16 May 2018

Handwriting is the shackle of the mind. (Plato)

Now, I am not real sure what Plato meant by this but then, I am never sure about anything any philosopher said or says.

I will just cheat and say, "The title says it all."

This entry will be about micrographia:

Micrographia is an acquired disorder that features abnormally small, cramped handwriting or the progression to progressively smaller handwriting. It is commonly associated with Parkinson's.

A change in handwriting is one of the first signs of PD, among others.

Let's take stock of our symptoms. These are the common motor symptoms. I will deal with each one as it affects my life but you must realize I have been very lucky. After 8 years of dealing with PD, I am relatively symptom-free thanks to the goddess, Fortuna, and medication. The early signs (or "omens" if you will) of parkinson's and my experience with each are:

  1. The onset of tremors. Not always present but are viewed as a sure sign of PD. My experience was with a tremor in my right hand. It made an appearance following a few hard workouts and eventually caused me to seek medical advice.
  2. Bradykinesia - a slowing of movement that affects all PWP. It can lead to problems with walking and standing. YUP, got that too. I move at glacial speed.
  3. Rigidity or stiffness in the arms and legs. Not sure about this but I think I have missed it, except when I get out of bed, which can be a riveting drama.
  4. Instability when standing. Loss of balance. I have some minor issues. Nothing serious.....yet!
  5. Mask-like expression (hypomimia) Remember Ali? His expression never changed. I have avoided this little joy; although, early on, my wife did comment on a rigid expression.
  6. Parkinsonian gait common to those with PD. It is walking stooped over and can be accompanied by festination (uncontrolled walking). I have festinated 3 times. It is not fun!!
  7. Difficulties with speech, word finding, an unusually soft voice or slurring of your words. I sound like a moron when I speak.
  8. Trouble with handwriting. You start a handwritten note with decent writing and gradually, as you continue, your hand starts to tighten and your handwriting begins to get cramped and smaller. The worst thing is, you can't control the PD penmanship.

    'Nuff said.

Sorry, I got carried away. This post is supposed to highlight my handwriting which was once clear and flowing but is now...well, see for yourself (scroll down). The first jpg is a note I wrote in 1996 to my teenaged daughter's teacher. The second jpg is a replication of that note written by me today. See the difference? Need I say any more? I think not.

I believe I am beginning to understand Plato's musing but I am afraid to make it public.

No comments:

Post a Comment