counter

Wednesday 30 May 2018

My cognitive impairment

Why do I stumble over words when speaking, especially when asked a question. I know the answer and I start to speak when suddenly my mind goes blank. Why? Because I am mildly cognitively impaired.

Whoa! Hold on there. Does that mean (whisper)....you are losing your mind?

Probably not but, but let's break it down.

What does "Cognitive" mean

According to a paper written by Jennifer G. Goldman cognition is a general term that refers to the mental abilities that we use to process information and apply knowledge. In the study of cognition, academics talk about "cognitive domains" which reflect different types of cognitive processes and describes each process. They are

  1. Attention and working memory
  2. executive function
  3. memory
  4. Language
  5. Visuospatial function

You can, and should read the article. The only ability I am interested in is number 4. language.

Doctor Goldman says this:

Language abilities include naming objects, generating words, comprehension, and verbal concepts. The most common language problem in Parkinson’s Disease is finding the “right” words. People with Parkinson’s Disease also tend to speak less overall (in addition to softer voice) and use simpler speech. This can be an area of frustration for both the patient and caregiver because verbal communication is such an important part of human behavior.

She describes me to a "T"

What to do? What to do?

Personally, I just keep quiet and when forced to talk, I allow myself to stumble and sound stupid but I usually get my opinion heard.

So am I going to hell?

When my father sank into the depths of Alzheimer's, he described his descent as "I am going to hell!", I don't think that will be my destination. I call "dibs" on Dr. Goldman's thoughts on cognitive changes in PD:

Cognitive symptoms in Parkinson’s Disease are common, though not every person experiences them. In some people with PD, the cognitive changes are mild. In others, however, cognitive deficits may become more severe and impact daily functioning.

....Cognitive deficits that are mild and do not impair one’s ability to carry out activities of daily living have been termed “mild cognitive impairment.” Studies estimate that mild cognitive impairment occurs in about 20-50% of patients with PD. We now recognize that mild cognitive changes may be present at the time of Parkinson’s Disease diagnosis or even early in the course of PD. They may or may not be noticeable to the person. They may or may not affect work or activities, depending on the demands of specific tasks and work situations.

I call "Double Dibs" on the descriptive words of the second paragraph. If I am impaired at all, it is very mild. My impairment does not affect my daily activities, except for not joining in conversations around me, but who cares? I was never really social at any time in my life. I like my own company and PD is just what the doctor ordered to explain my anti-social behavior. As for being mildly cognitively impaired, as long as I can write, I think I will sit back and enjoy the lack of stress and comfort in being slightly off course.

Click here to find out if a cow is in the early stages of mild cognitive impairment.

No comments:

Post a Comment