counter

Sunday 27 May 2018

What's a little pain between frenemies?

I am having trouble keeping up this blog and may take a month's hiatus unless something exceptional happens; even then I may be consumed with alien fragments of my life. But, for now, let's stick with the progress of my PD as to pain.

Rolling over in bed is impossible. Sleeping in one position is an assault on my back. I hate pain!

Getting out of bed is a comedy of errors. I am restricted by the pain and like a bad gymnast, I go through all manner of contortions before success. I try to sit up on the side of the bed and inevitably I fall back into the bed 3 or 4 times before I can stabilize myself. Every motion hurts. When I have achieved a sitting position, it will take me another 2 or 3 attempts to stand. At this time, I can eventually win the battle, but it makes me think I should be laughing at the spectacle. Treating this dilemma with humor chases away the "why me" burden.

Speaking! What can I say? Not much I fear. I can think of what I need to say and I am able to write down those thoughts without a problem but when I open my mouth to speak, my brain stops and I am speechless. I come up blank and I fumble for words or I just shut down immediately with my audience waiting and trying to find the word for me. This is classified as mild cognitive impairment and my mind treats this as mental pain.

Just to make certain I am not comfortable, the gods have cursed me with additional grief in the form of pain in my left shoulder and bicep and that verdammt pain is limiting my participation in boxing! Those boxing workouts are an enjoyable way to get exercise. Gone today. I now spend time on the treadmill and stationary bike. This morning I walked about a mile with my Nordic poles for support. Big deal! These solitary workouts are a drag.

Even though my arm will hurt, I have made up my mind. It is my intention to go back to boxing tomorrow. I have a need to be among some other members of the tribe. There I don't feel embarrassed if I limit my speaking and I won't (can't) do any hooks. I won't be pain-free, but at least I will be taking charge.

Leonard Cohen once said that a pessimist "waits for the rain, while I am already soaked". That's me! So, however pessimistic this entry might sound, I remain at peace with my prognosis and still exercise daily. I will slow down PD's rate of advancement. Exercise can do that. Boxing can do that. Forget the pain. If I slow PD down, even a smidgen, people in white coats might find a cure within my lifetime.

One can only dream and hope.

Maybe I won't take that hiatus.

No comments:

Post a Comment