counter

Friday 31 August 2018

I'm singing through the pain

For the past few months, I have had a pain in my left shoulder. It prevents me from lifting my elbow too high and it interferes with my boxing. Believe me, throwing a left jab is painful after 3 or 4 jabs. No amount of physio has helped. It is bothering me while I type this airing of grievances.

But wait! The pain has moved to my right shoulder in addition to the left. "Must be PD pain," I tell my wife.

You non-PWP have to realize, every ache or pain we suffer, we are quick to blame PD and get on with life. This time, however, I will be seeing a doctor next week to get his opinion.

One thing I know for sure is that PD has all but robbed me of my voice. My fault, the therapist gave me exercises to do daily. I did them each day for about a month. I should be doing them daily for the rest of my life. Not likely to happen. I have decided to try a different tactic - singing in a choir with a bunch of other PWP. They say it doesn't matter if I can't carry a tune. I hope that is the case since I have a voice that could sterilize a frog at 40 feet.

The aim of the choir is "Our goal is to provide a fun environment for those who like to sing. Our hope is that singing will prove to have therapeutic benefits in strengthening the muscles associated with speech, breathing, and swallowing, along with improving facial expressiveness.

Lofty goal, wouldn't you say. I will do my best but hereby warn all frogs to stay outside of 40-foot radius at all time lest they don't want little frogettes.

Hey, maybe vibrations produced by a choir of PWP will have a therapeutic effect on my shoulder pain. You never know with this disease.

I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment