counter

Saturday 4 August 2018

One step back; two forward, but no giant leaps - I am waiting

The rich and famous get PD too.

Neil Diamond, M.J. Fox, Janet Reno, Charles Schulz, Robin Williams, Hitler and now Alan Alda. All of them have or had Parkinson's. You can find more of their financial ilk online. PD doesn't discriminate and in spite of their millions, we all, rich and poor, have the same chance of being cured.

On bad days, I am certain that a cure is beyond researchers' abilities but, they keep making discoveries, taking baby steps in the right direction. Eventually, they will announce a cure.

But, for me, well, I may as well try to catch the wind. I will have a fistful of nothing before we are successful in ridding ourselves of our verdammt parasite. I am just too old and it takes a couple of days before eternity to get a drug to market. You younger PWP will see success at some time in the future.

PD is the fingerprint of a malevolent universe. No two fingerprints are identical and no two PWP sufferers have identical sets of symptoms. So what? Who cares? So the rich & famous also suffer from PD, that in itself offers me no consolation. I neither envy them nor am I glad to see them join the tribe. No schadenfreude in this body. Nope, in here you will just find me with loathsome PD and I am growing tired of his presence. The fact is, in the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Fish and visitors stink in 3 days".

Today, meine freunde, today, I write about Freundschaft and its effect on PWP. Everybody needs a friend whom they can rely on. I am not talking about the run-of-the-mill friendship. I am talking about friends you see 1 or 2 times in decades, but when you come together, the years melt away. You hug them, shake hands and can relive the past with ease. They recognize your limitations and help you out, and for that help we PWP are grateful, even for the small things. Even little things are welcomed such as going out of one's way to get you a glass of wine to holding a chair so you can sit comfortably. We need your help occasionally and my friends, I have had the experience. Thank you.

I wish I did not have PD. I wish I was normal again; although normal is somewhat overrated. At our age/condition, there are no normals. Just ask any person over 70 and especially one with parkinson's. .....to be continued anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment