counter

Wednesday 19 September 2018

Sometimes you can expect mediocrity

I am having writer's block. It is the result of having too much material and not enough energy. My thoughts are my grandson's toys littering the carpet of my metaphysical living room. Yes, such a structure really can exist, albeit in the mind of a guy corrupted by reality.

But let's move on. It is time to clean the clutter that is preventing meaningful discourse, so here are the cole's notes versions of events from the past 6 weeks.

  • The reunion: I played a major role in the creation of a reunion of old friends from across Canada. We are old, you understand, in our 60's 70, and 80's; therefore, you can expect to see all types of conditions. I saw people who needed hip replacements through to victims of cancer, but no other PWP were present. I compared PD with the other conditions I saw. Our great disadvantage is our disease cannot be cured, it will continue to have its way with us. Their problems, for the most part, can be fixed, ours, not so much. Was I jealous? Of course I was, but here's the good news. I had forgotten to take my medicine that day and the shaking palsy should have made an appearance, but the excitement of seeing old friends appears to have caused the shaking and the stiffness to disappear for the evening. No meds, no symptoms! Maybe PD is all in our heads

    (Now cut that out. You know what I mean.)

  • Boxing continues to overcome my bad days. The boxers and volunteers are very laid back, interesting, nice and normal. I really enjoy the structured workouts, and behold, my left arm is improving. Boxing is good for PWP. It improves my outlook every time. I go home on a natural high and sometimes will ponder the future and realize it is not, as Leonard Cohen said, "murder".
  • Another activity for PWP is choir. Thirty or so of us trying to sing and, except for the ladies, failing miserably. But the point of the exercise is to project your voice (like LSVT Loud). There is no requirement for a bonny voice, which is a good thing because we sound like a flock of sick parrots. The noise is truly helpful, and it is also fun, and it doesn't hurt that the other singers seem very nice and down to earth. The instructor has an incredible voice and is full of enthusiasm. As for me, at the conclusion of the session, people could actually hear me when I spoke. I recommend it to any, and every PWP, especially if you are voice-impaired like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment