counter

Wednesday 19 December 2018

The mysterious power of the RSM

Growing up on an army base, one gains other-world knowledge that is foreign to the citizens of Civie Street (civilians).  Our lingo is different;  for example, "meathead" is slang for "provost corps".  The provost corps is the military police and more commonly known as "meatheads"(no disrespect intended". ) "PMQ" is "permanent married Quarters".  "Mister" is the formal salutation for a "lieutenant". "Brat" is a person raised by military parents.  Any Brat could probably list the many ranks between "Private" and "General" and yada, yada. yada.

The only uncertainty, never explained to me,  is why every soldier with the surname, "Miller" is nicknamed "Dusty".  

I am getting off track.  What I want to talk about is the RSM, or Regimental Sergent Major.  This is an appointment, rather than a regular rank,  The RSM sees to the welfare of his troops and of the base.  He is an important person.

 Let me describe one I remember.  RSM Lute was built like a boxer.  Often times he wore a red sash across his broad chest, a symbol of his authority.  His mustache was waxed and curled such that each end pointed toward the sky.  Now I am not a religious guy, but this man was God.  And he scared me, so if I saw him,  I made sure he didn't see me.  I have to admit, he ran a good camp.  I wondered how chaotic the base would be if there were no RSM.

Well,  I found out 50 years later when I was diagnosed with PD.  The brain is the C.O. of the body.  The brain appointed the substantia nigra (SN) to be the RSM for the troops in the SN.  Cells in the SN  play a large role in movement.  They produce a chemical called dopamine which helps the brain send & receive messages throughout the body.  For some reason, these special cells start to degenerate and as they do, the amount of dopamine is depleted and any form of movement can be negatively affected. Moreover,  there is nothing the body's RSM can do about it, or so we have been told.

Well, screw the RSM.  I ain't afraid of no RSM.......well.......maybe.

Let's see what role Science play.   I know its target is the fading NS.   Like Brats, scientists have their own lingo.   99% of us would be unable to follow a scientific discussion, but who cares!  All I want to hear and understand is the word, "'CURE".  in any language but, I will not give in to PD.  I will not obsess on finding a cure; rather, I declare and appoint myself to the position of RSM of my body and I will concentrate on my here and now and live for today.

In the next entry I will tell you what happened since my appointment to RSM and how the battle is going.

BTW,  J of Grey Cottage is now in the 21st year since DX and has not gone beyond Stage 1!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment