counter

Wednesday 9 December 2015

On guinea pigs and Harold

While walking home from my granddaughter's nursery school Christmas concert, I realized I had not had that parkie feeling for several days. It has been 5 years since diagnosis and, except for some minor problems, I don't feel any different then when I heard the neuro say, "I am confident in my diagnosis."

Of course, a second later, that little gnat buzzed in my ear, "minor problems!! Have you forgotten you can no longer speak properly?" Yes, I had forgotten that little detail; however, any other symptoms have gone (drugs) and other than sounding deranged when I open my mouth, I feel perfectly normal. I am confident in my diagnosis that the rapidity of PD's assault on my brain is slogging through the mud of no-man's land, moving slowly. I wonder how things will be 5 years hence?

Why is PD moving so slowly? The following are 3 theories that I have come up with.

Guinea Pigs and Caffeine

I am a participant in a study of the effects of caffeine on the rate at which PD consumes the brain's dopamine producing cells. I have been on it over a year (I think), taking 2 pills of caffeine daily. The strength of the pills will increase for 6.5 years and then....well, whatever researchers do with data they have collected will be done. I wonder if the caffeine has already started slowing my PD down. It could be; although, I might be on a placebo. So who knows. Diagnosis-uncertain.

Then along came Harold

A regular reader introduced me to Harold. Harold is not really a person but rather an acronym for the phenomenon of "hemispheric asymmetry reduction in older adults". HAROLD, get it? The article was written today and can be found HERE Its thesis seems to be that exercise has a beneficial effect on the aging brain. This is something I have believed and practised over the past 5 years. On average, I exercise 5 - 6 times per week. My exercise regime includes weight training, treadmill, stationary bike and long walks. I vary the exercises from day to day so I don't get completely bored. Maybe exercise has slowed down the progress of PD. Diagnosis -I like to think so.

But then

Maybe I am just one of the lucky ones! It is a zero sum game. I got PD (bad luck) but the PD's progression is slow (good luck).

Touch wood. If you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment