counter

Sunday 2 April 2017

The B12 Conspiracy

My daughter went to see a homeopathy "doctor" about a skin problem. She was given a blood test and now awaits the results. I have no faith in homeopathy, and I expect the results will not show a healthy body. I anticipate they will find all sorts of problems; but, don't worry, I also expect the "doctor" will provide her with cures; diluted-cures-in-water potions, based on the organization's "law of similar", the belief that the symptoms of a disease can be cured by very small amounts, dissolved in water, of that which cause similar symptoms in healthy people. I won't get into the whole thing. Just read Homeopathy: The Ultimate Fake by Stephen Barrett, M.D. that can be found at quackwatch.org to understand my concerns. I have told my daughter - don't pay any more money because nothing will be cured; although, she might obtain benefits through the placebo effect.

While preparing to give my daughter a Vitamin B12 shot and having, quite rightly, taken a family history in which it was recorded that I have PD, the practitioner told my daughter that I should take copious amount of B12. Now I have tried various supplements without any positive changes; therefore, I decry their use and that, combined with the reputation of homeopathy, caused me to research "Vitamin B12 and parkinson's". I intended to set before my daughter all the negative research. I was surprised to learn that her "doctor" had given her some good advice to give to me. I found on the website of the National Parkinson Foundation (parkinson.org) the following:

  • Vitamin B12 is an important factor in brain and nerve health, especially memory.
  • Dietary Vitamin B12 is found in animal protein sources such as meat, eggs, fish and dairy products.
  • As people age, they may develop difficulty absorbing B12 from the gut, even if the amount in their food sources is adequate.
  • Oral supplements (usually 1000 mcg) may help, although persons with severe B12 absorption problems or deficiencies may require injections.
  • Vegetarians may also develop a B12 deficiency.
  • Elevation of homocysteine may be related to memory loss in some patients, although this is unproven.
  • Increasing B12 and folic acid will often result in a decrease in homocysteine levels, though it is not yet known whether this will improve memory.
From the MJF Foundation I found a 2013 study concerning B12

Vitamin B12 deficiency can cause a number of neurological symptoms, including instability, neuropathy (which may cause numbness and tingling) and cognitive defects. Recent studies in Parkinson's disease (PD) patients with neuropathy have shown that B12 deficiency is common. Also, we have recently observed that B12 levels decline over the course of PD. These observations have led us to hypothesize that concurrent B12 deficiency may contribute to overall decline in some patients.

I have not found the conclusions of that study but I have found statements elsewhere that say there is no conclusive evidence that Vitamin B12 has any effect at all on Parkinson's Disease. So, perhaps I am wrong about homeopathy; after all, many great minds believe or have believed in its efficacy (for example, Mahatma Gandhi, Mark Twain and even Paul McCartney), but it goes against my rational outlook. I believe it to be deceitful. It is perverse in its ability to draw people away from accepted medical procedures to rely on the dubious theory that water has memory. If it sounds ridiculous, it probably is and it flies in the face of my rationalist view of the world.

Having said all that, I will go along with the homeopath's advice to my daughter. I will purchase copious amounts of B12. It will probably turn out like the Co Q 10 fiasco. I spent lots of money on that failure and I will probably do so on B12.

You know, just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment