counter

Friday 14 April 2017

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

You recognize the line, delivered by Michael Corleone in the Godfather III. Well, it entered my space and felt relevant to me, this day. You see, I noticed two things:
  • my legs were unusually stiff, and
  • my pills were unable to allow my body to stay balanced for more than 2 hours in a 5 hour cycle
The source of these problems is obvious. Just when I thought I had hit a plateau - BANG - parkinson's reminded me who is boss here. The disease is progressing more rapidly than I thought. I am hoping it was just a bad day, if such is possible.

Turns out it is entirely possible for some symptoms. I just found this on defeatparkinson's.com, written by a neurologist, Dr. M De Leon:

As a neurologist, I have dealt with many chronic progressive neurodegenerative disease patients of various types and stages for a number of years yet, all of them had one thing in common-“good days and bad days.”
He goes on to talk about the stoicism of PWP. They don't annoy him with incessant medical calls since they know nothing can be done. He winds up his paper with the following:
Myth- Parkinson’s Fluctuates

Fact: Parkinson’s DOES NOT have MOTOR fluctuations unless dealing with dyskenesias (this only after long term use of medications), but does NOT have daily motor fluctuations early on in disease.

However, Parkinson’s NON-MOTOR symptoms CAN fluctuate on a daily basis and are affected by weather, other medical illnesses, sleep patterns, medications,constipation, as well as emotional state.

So, turns it out that Parkinson’s patients Do HAVE “good and bad days” too, especially when it concerns non-motor phenomena. However, is not being adequately reported thus not adequately treated! Therefore, we all need to take a more proactive role in discussing issues that might affect our non-motor symptoms as well as the symptoms themselves which often have treatment.

But, if you are experiencing a daily, weekly, or hourly MOTOR fluctuation- this is NOT NORMAL, nor part of the Parkinson’s spectrum. Parkinson’s disease is a chronically progressive neurodegenerative disease affecting the dopamine in the basal ganglia and as disease advances so does the loss of neurochemicals in the brain.

He finishes up with questions you should be asking yourself and these can be found at(google) "defeat parkinson's" and "de Leon".

Another day, another gift from that rebel, PD. I don't want to be rude, but control yourself PD. No more presents, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment