counter

Saturday 4 February 2017

Just a little advice

Let me correct one mistake from the last blog. The assist pole cost me $259.00CDN not $159.00CDN

Now onto the sad news. My balance has been bad (5 on a scale of 10). Yesterday, while on my haunches, cleaning a spill on the kitchen floor, I had a feeling that I was going to fall backward. It was a self fulfilling prophecy . As I fell back, in an attempt to stop the fall, I grabbed the handle of drawer full of cutlery. Alas and alack, I was unsuccessful in my attempt to remain stable and the entire drawer came out and I was covered in cutlery. I cleaned up the cutlery, but out of spite, I left the original spill where it was.

That will show them!

Now that I seem to have balance problems, I took to researching "balance & parkinson's" and found this on WebMD:

Tips for Maintaining Balance With Parkinson's Disease
  • Keep at least one hand free at all times; try using a backpack or fanny pack to hold things rather than carrying them in your hands. ,
  • Never carry objects in both hands when walking as this interferes with balance.
  • Attempt to swing both arms from front to back while walking. This may require a conscious effort if Parkinson's disease has diminished your movement; however, it will help you to maintain balance, posture, and reduce fatigue.
  • Consciously lift your feet off of the ground when walking. Shuffling and dragging your feet may cause you to lose your balance.
  • Try to stand with your feet shoulder width apart. When your feet are close together for any length of time, you increase your risk of losing your balance and falling.
  • Do one thing at a time! Don't try to walk and accomplish another task, such as reading or looking around. The decrease in your automatic reflexes complicates motor function, so the less distraction, the better!
  • Do not wear rubber or gripping soled shoes, they may "catch" on the floor and cause tripping.
  • Move slowly when changing positions. Use deliberate, concentrated movements and if needed, use a grab bar or walking aid. Count 15 seconds between each movement. For example, when rising from a seated position, wait 15 seconds after standing to begin walking.
  • If you become "frozen," visualize stepping over an imaginary object, or have someone place their foot in front of yours to step over. Try not to have a caregiver or companion "pull" you, this may throw you off balance and even prolong the episode.
  • If balance is a continuous problem, you may want to consider a walking aid such as a cane, walking stick, or walker. Once you've mastered walking with help, you may be ready to try it on your own again!

    Really good advice; although, even though I know it to be excellent advice, I doubt I will stick to it. Do you know how hard it is to concentrate on consciously lifting your feet and/or swinging your arms! I am good for about 10 paces, when I fall back into my usual routine.

    As Oscar Wilde one remarked, " The only thing to do with good advice is to pass it on. It is never of any use to oneself."

    So true. I offer this WebMD advice in good spirits knowing I will not be able to follow most of it on a regular basis.

    And I damn my restless mind and my inability to concentrate for more than a few minutes; ergo, I shall keep on falling.

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment