counter

Wednesday 15 February 2017

I humbly suggest


LSVT BIG EXERCISES FOR PD PATIENTS

You know how I go on about exercise. Sorry. I believe exercise has helped me to slow down the advance of the condition (I hate the name Parkinson's DISEASE) and has helped me to obtain the fitness level of a younger man.

Some research has shown that PWP who exercise a minimum of 2.5 hours every 7 days will experience a better quality of life perhaps slowing the condition's progress. I highly recommend the LSVT BIG exercise program above (click on writing under the picture.) Why?

  • It is a good warmup because it doesn't take long and can also be used as a daily exercise, if the PWP detests full on exercising.
  • It involves stretching, which apparently, is a necessity.

The elements missing from this short program are aerobic training and resistance training. I accomplish the first through the treadmill and the stationary bike. I also include mixed aerobic and weight training with an emphasis on weights.

Many types of exercise will help PWP such as biking, running, tai chi, yoga, Pilates, dance, weight training, non-contact boxing, qigong all of which have been shown to have positive effects on symptoms for people with parkinson’s. The problems with these are snow (too deep and slippery and cost (over time it adds up). Home training is easier to maintain a regime and the fear of burn out is minimized.

LSVT Big Part two can be found here and should prove useful to you as well. Combine it with Part One for a more complete full exercise (as opposed to using Part One as a warmup).
Parkinson's Canada has a good booklet on exercises for PWPhere

Firmness in enduring and exertion is a character I always wish to possess. I have always despised the whining yelp of complaint and cowardly resolve. Robert Burns

Success is dependent upon the glands - sweat glands. (unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment