counter

Wednesday 7 June 2017

Nullum magnum ingenium est sine mixtura dementiae*

I haven't written in some time, not because I had nothing to say but because I had nothing to say that was even a tad interesting.  It is also time consuming and I have it on good authority that an entry that takes 2 hours (really) to write, takes only 2 minutes to read so I have to fill your 2 minutes with something worth reading.

Today's topic concerns (dare I say it?) DEMENTIA.

We all know that parkinson's is caused by the loss of dopamine producing cells in the brain, thus the condition is labeled a "degenerative brain disorder".  What ugly words!  Sadly true, but nevertheless ugly.  They shout out to people, "this guy has brain problems.  I think he may be crazy!"  Sometimes, if you suffer with word finding problems, one of many symptoms of PD, you might sound crazy or worse, stupid.  I have written about my problems when trying to speak intelligently, but I can safely say I am neither crazy nor stupid.

PD is not restricted to body movements, sometimes it affects the intellect.  We all fear dementia brought on by PD.  It seems to be relentless in its randomness but, fortunately it is estimated that only 20% of us will be the victims of that condition.

Although PD is a designer disease, with symptoms affecting most PWP differently, we are aware that cognitive processes (e.g. thinking, remembering, reasoning, etc) may be affected to some degree in all of us, it is only when PD negatively affects our ability to carry out  every day activities that we are cursed with the label "dementia".

Dementia develops slowly, rearing its ugly head 10 - 15 years post diagnosis.  Here I am coming up to 7 years after the doctor announced "early stage parkinson's"  and I know that if I am speaking, I have mild cognitive impairment; but, that is easily cured.  I just keep silent. Sometimes I appear to be stupid when the situation I am in involves conversation, especially in social situations.  My brain becomes overloaded with noise and I can't even remember my house address.  When I exit that situation and my brain settles down, everything returns to normal.

Thank goodness my thinking remains strong when I write.  It is good to know I can still think critically and with some degree of creativity, so I do not spend every minute worrying about my future, just the occasional doubt, that's all.

And don't get me going about Lewy Body Dementia.  I want to be able to sleep tonight.


* There is no great genius without a mixture of madness

No comments:

Post a Comment