counter

Thursday 21 September 2017

Eat what you don't like to maintain your health. Sure!

J'ai mal a la dos. Really bad! I decided I should see a chiropractor even though I don't believe in much of the claims they make. I found one on the internet and got in right away. He seemed to know what he is doing. He used a couple of programs to map my back, shoulders and neck and those programs were very accurate in showing where the muscles are in distress. He is a very talkative, likeable guy and he helped, a bit, so I will see him again; although, at times I felt like George Costanza in that episode with the healer whose remedy turns George purple.

Anyway, he gave me dietary advice which really amounted to "don't eat anything that tastes good".

With that in mind I turned to the web. Here is what I found:

  • nothing you eat will in any way cure PD
  • eat healthy
  • Certain foods can relieve some of the symptoms, for example eating fruits may help with easing constipation
  • eat foods high in antioxidants
  • 6 - 8 ounces of water each day to stay hydrated
  • If you have swallowing problems, eat smaller portions, chew well and drink up
  • eating yellow mustard can ease cramps
  • if you are on L-dopa, don't bother with fava beans (thank God!) or mecuna puriens. Although both contain levodopa, there is no way of telling what concentrations of the drug are present in them and, like other supplements, they won't do you much good
  • take medication on an empty stomach, 30 minutes prior to eating or 60 minutes after
  • avoid eating proteins while taking L-dopa. Protein can reduce the effectiveness of levodopa.

That is it in a nutshell. Eat a balanced meal, even the stuff that tastes good.

One last dollop of advice: being healthy is the slowest way to die!

No comments:

Post a Comment