counter

Thursday 19 October 2017

Dinner with Woe Chi Grin

Had dinner with an old friend I had not seen in 15 years or so. In fact, I thought he may have died, it had been so long.  He is very much alive but he is falling apart.  I believe he has at least one shoulder replaced along with two knees.  He is so hard of hearing that it becomes necessary to almost shout into his ear.  To top it all off, he has diabetes.  Yet, through it all he has maintained a positive outlook and a grand sense of humour, laughing at his disabilities and loving the fact that he can't hear and  I can't speak.  Our wives had to tell him everything that I was saying, even though I thought I was shouting.  It was a fun time at a Chinese restaurant.

I forgot to tell you, he is undergoing hernia surgery today. Be better soon old fella, I don't want to go to the hospital to visit you.

I think I need a reason for telling this story. Well, I have one. The use of humour is therapeutic . Laughter is a natural medicine. We were born to laugh. Why? Cancer treatment Centers of America reports that researchers have found that a good laugh can:

  • enhance oxygen intake
  • stimulate the heart and lungs
  • relax muscles through the body
  • trigger the release of endorphins
  • ease digestion/soothe stomach aches
  • relieve pain
  • balance blood pressure
  • improve mental functions

Laughter therapy may also help to:

  • improve overall attitude
  • reduce stress/tension,
  • promote relaxation
  • improve sleep
  • enhance quality of life
  • strengthen social bonds and relationships
  • produce a general sense of well-being

I don't know about you, but I will take PD over all the ills my friend has had to put up with. While you think that over, go to Youtube and watch Tim Conway and the elephant story (both the rehearsal and the live) and Tim Conway the Dentist. If those skits, in which Tim Conway ad libs unknown to his other cast members, don't make you laugh, will laugh therapy help?

No comments:

Post a Comment