counter

Sunday 1 April 2018

What's the name of the game?

The first year or so, I deluded myself into thinking there was nothing wrong with me, that the occasional tremor in my right hand was just caused by a hard workout. I was brought back to reality by the neuro's determination, "It is early stage Parkinson's." he said blithely and he added. "you can get another opinion, but I am confident in my diagnosis."

OK. Now what?

The single sheet torn from a magazine he gave me did little to instill any fear, so I carried on, oblivious to the changes in my body - for a couple of weeks anyway. In this game, there is only one rule. PD must win. I tried to ignore the tremor that was becoming more pronounced until finally in 2011, I went to another neuro who put me on medication.

The medication worked well for the next 7 years but lately, I have learned the meaning of "wearing on / wearing off". I have experienced it a few times in my 7-year joust with PD, but now it is becoming more pronounced. I can keep track of my medicine intake by the arrival of a slight tremor trying to escape from my medicinal prison. When it announces itself, I know I will be taking my meds in about an hour. Once taken, the drugs kick in after 30 minutes, so I have 2-4 hours in which the tremor is kept at bay. WO/WO is not as bad now, as I know it will become, but I will ignore it and hope that the inhaler currently being developed (look it up, MJF) will be available to help PWP before I kick the can.

I didn't sign up for this but what are you gonna do?

I understand attitude is a choice. I choose life, as near to normal as possible. I choose to ignore that which I cannot control and gather strength to live with what I can control.

Put your hands in the air brothers and sisters and offer praise to the scientists working on a cure.

Here endith this sermon.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment