counter

Friday 13 December 2019

How does one navigate these waters part one

So, so many times I am asked how did you know you had parkinson's.  I only knew I was a victim when my right hand started bouncing  around on its own, but here are the signs that one should be aware of:

     1.  cramped handwriting or other writing changes.*
     2.  tremor, especially in finger, hand or foot.*
      3.  uncontrollable movements during sleep.
      4.  limb stiffness or slow movement (bradykinesia)*
      5.  voice changes.*
      6.  rigid facial expression or masking.
      7.  stooped posture.*

                                                                        * my symptoms

Let's take each of my symptoms and elaborate,

a)  Writing - while making study cards (3 by 5), I noticed that after 1 or 2 sentences, my hand would cramp and the my writing would diminish in size.  Didn't think anything of it -

b)  tremor - my whole right arm was choc-a-block with twitches and tremors.  At first only my right hand gave me grief, but that was to change.

c)  Bradykinesia -   I shuffled, moving at glacial speed, uable to heel-and-toe for more than 20m or so.  Now I was embarrassingly last to finish every meal.  I started to take smaller portions and, as a positive side-effect, Ilost weight, but I was still slower than most of my tablemates

d)  voice -  what voice!  It was all but disappearing - like that low-talker on Seinfeld.

e) posture - I resembled the Hunchback of Notre Dame without the hump

Stay tuned to how I changed my parkie ways and have remained relatively normal going into my 11h year.

No comments:

Post a Comment